When initially setting up FlexiTime to provide time billing there are a number of considerations:
- How many invoices will get generated per client?
- What descriptions will show on the invoice?
- How many lines will show on each invoice?
- What narrations will show on these lines?
- What rates will be used of the invoice lines?
This article will lead you through the configuration options to address these questions. These are one-off set up tasks that you are unlikely to repeat after the initial set-up.
Invoice templates determine which invoices are generated and the general format of those invoices.
Under Setup > Company Settings > Invoices you have the ability to add or edit invoice templates. If different clients have differing invoicing requirements you can set up multiple templates and link the appropriate template when you edit the client under Setup > Clients.
This window is shown when you add or edit a template.
There are two areas in the body of the sample invoice where you are able to specify the content. When you click in either area the merge tokens on the right are available. Clicking on these tokens will insert them into the invoice body. They are surrounded by square brackets which differentiates them from other invoice text.
When the invoice is created, merge tokens are replaced with the text relevant to the invoice, and this text in turn determines the breakdown of the invoices. For example:
- To generate a single invoice per client, the text boxes can be left blank, or contain some fixed text with no tokens.
- If there are multiple work items for the same client that you want to appear on separate invoices, include the Work Title merge token (or another of the Work based tokens) in the invoice body, e.g. [Work Title] as shown above
- If you also use Jobs in FlexiTime and want one invoice per job for each type or work, then include the [Job Summary] token.
- If you want one invoice per employee then include the [Employee Name] token in the header area.
You might also want to use the invoice fields for standard text to appear on all invoices such as payment terms, bank account details or to show your accounts email address as shown above. The default invoice template has text for the default bank account number in the footer area of the invoice.
You can add simple formatting of bold, underlined or italics text using the buttons above the merge tokens. This formatting will be shown with start and end 'tags' inside <> that will get replaced when the invoice is printed.
Back on the Invoicing tab under Client Settings there are a few options you may want to set before you start using billing. The Invoice Number Prefix and Next Invoice Number allow you so determine the initial format of your invoice numbers. And on the Logo tab, you can load the logo that will be printed on your invoices.
Payment Terms are used to define the default due dates on your invoices for a client. Define the payment terms on Setup > Company Settings > Invoices and then select the payment terms to be used for a Client. When creating an invoice for that client, the payment terms are used to set the invoice due date.
To add Payment Terms, click Add. To edit an existing Payment Term, click Edit.
The Payment Terms Description is used to identify the Payment Terms on the Client settings, and is also used as the narration if the Payment Terms token is used on the invoice template.
Enter the number corresponding the the payment condition.
Select the Payment Terms condition:
To specify the last day of the current or following month, enter '31'. FlexiTime will adjust the due date to allow for 28, 29 and 30 day months.
Charge Types control how invoice lines are generated. Time entries are linked to Charge Types via Work and Work Categories - when you edit Work and Work Categories you can select the Charge Type that applies. If neither the work nor work category for entered time has a charge type associated with it, the time will not be billed.
Under Setup > Charge Types there is a list of charge types. Some simple default charge types are created by default. This window is shown when you edit a charge type:
As with Invoice Templates, you can set up what appears in the Invoice Line Narration, and use Merge Tokens in this narration. For example:
- To have a single line on the invoice, just set the narration to something like Service Rendered
- To have one line per employee, add the [Employee Name] merge token, e.g. Services rendered by [Employee Name]
- To have one line per employee and per job, also add the [Job Summary] token, e.g. Services rendered by [Employee Name]: [Job Summary]
Note there will always be at least one invoice line per work included in the invoice, and one invoice line per different rate.
The Charge Types determine the rate that will be used on each line. From the list under Use Charge Rate From choose the rate that is appropriate. For example:
- If your employees are always charged at the same rate regardless of what they are doing select Employee and enter the charge rates against the employees.
- An employee may work on various jobs, charging at a different rates for each job. In this case choose Job and enter the charge rates against the jobs.
You can also specify a Units type on a charge type. This allows you to charge for more than just hours worked. This allows you to charge for work in units other than hours, or expenses.
Charge rates can provide more complex billing options such as discounts, surcharges, fixed rate charges and expense claims. See Advanced Charge Type Set up for more help on the extra options that are shown when you press the Advanced button.